Sunday, October 14, 2007

Give me the beat boys...

...and free my soul, I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

I believe listening to music is a spiritual experience. I live walking distance from Zilker Park and crowds of people are currently making their exodus to ACL, a musical Mecca of sorts. Live music is meant to be enjoyed by the masses. So automatically the experience is set up to connect people because they are all trekking to this place for a common love. Then the music starts, the energy of the crowd is accumulating and you are sucked into the experience. You kind of just forget everything that exists outside the venue and give yourself to the music and the crowd. Trust is built with entire strangers at concerts, which is evident when you crowdsurf. You are trusting these people not to drop you. People help each other out and make friends within this venue, even if they will never see each other outside of it. I was once pulled into a most pit and punched in the stomach, and several strangers came to my aid without having ever met me before. We all watched the concert together, chatted up and had a good time, then parted ways when the music stopped, never to see each other again. I don't know, there's just something about music that creates bonds. And something about a live concert that gives the venue this magic that lasts as long as the music is playing.

No comments: