Sunday, October 14, 2007

It's written on the human heart

In thinking about the religious autobiography we have to write, I started to try and place myself into a religious category. I haven’t been able to do so yet, but it got me thinking about my friend, Stecha, who is Baha’i. From what I understand, they believe that God revealed messages at different times, in different ways, to different people so that all religions are connected, and really one faith. It’s essentially all about unity. All religions are connected; all people are connected, and so on. And that made me think of C.S. Lewis, who if I remember correctly said that there are some things that are just written on the human heart, regardless of ethnicity, faith, etc. In addition, I am currently reading a book about how all religions have common traits and myths that string them all together. I haven’t finished the book yet to find out it’s ultimate conclusion, but it seems to be saying that if all these stories are similar, then they all stem from an event that actually happened and therefore all faiths are connected and more the same than they are different. Of course, to buy the idea that all religions are different manifestations of the same god, you have to believe in a god in the first place.

1 comment:

GWD said...

With your permission I would like to excerpt from this post for my blog Baha'i Views and link.